kafka-dev mailing list archives

From Nag Y <andriod.nag.u...@gmail.com>
Subject Kafka - Controller Broker
Date Wed, 22 Jul 2020 15:19:18 GMT
 come across this phrase from https://niqdev.github.io/devops/kafka/ and
https://livebook.manning.com/book/kafka-streams-in-action/chapter-2/109 (Kafka
Streams in Action )

The controller broker is responsible for setting up leader/follower
relationships for all partitions of a topic. If a Kafka node dies or is
unresponsive (to ZooKeeper heartbeats), all of its assigned partitions *(both
leader and follower)* are reassigned by the controller broker.

I think it is not correct - where assigning follower partitions to other
brokers as the partitions wont heal themselves unless the broker comes back
. I know it ONLY happens for leader replica where if the broker that has
leader replica gone down, one of the broker that contains follower will
become leader. But, I dont think "reassigment" of followers will happen
automatically unless reassignment is initiated manually. Please share your
inputs