kafka-dev mailing list archives

From "Colin McCabe" <cmcc...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-525 - Return topic metadata and configs in CreateTopics response
Date Wed, 18 Sep 2019 20:21:51 GMT
Hi Rajini,

Thanks for the KIP.  I think this will be a great improvement.

For NumPartitions, ReplicationFactor, and Configs, we need some reasonable default value in
the RPC which can be used for requests that are too old to contain this information.  I'd
suggest 0, 0, and null, respectively.  That way we can, for example, distinguish between a
response with zero configs and a response that's too old to have config information.

I'm curious what you think about having three functions in CreateTopicsResult rather than
one.  Maybe:

 >  public KafkaFuture<Config> config(String topic);
 >  public KafkaFuture<Integer> numPartitions(String topic);
 >  public KafkaFuture<Integer> replicationFactor(String topic);

Or is it better to have the "public KafkaFuture<TopicConfig> topicConfig(String topic)"
method?

best,
Colin