kafka-dev mailing list archives

From Levani Kokhreidze <levani.co...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-221: Repartition Topic Hints in Streams
Date Mon, 01 Jul 2019 06:56:43 GMT
Hello,

I would like to resurrect discussion around KIP-221. Going through the discussion thread,
there’s seems to agreement around usefulness of this feature.
Regarding the implementation, as far as I understood, the most optimal solution for me seems
the following:

1) Add two method overloads to KStream#through method (essentially making topic name optional)
2) Enhance Produced class with numOfPartitions configuration field.

Those two changes will allow DSL users to control parallelism and trigger re-partition without
doing stateful operations.

I will update KIP with interface changes around KStream#through if this changes sound sensible.

Kind regards,
Levani