kafka-dev mailing list archives

From Varun Kumar <varunkumar...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Partition Reassignment in Cloud
Date Fri, 21 Jun 2019 01:39:58 GMT
The idea is to expand the cluster, i.e increase the number of brokers and repartition the partition
to distribute the load. So at the end of process both the broker needs to be up and running.
Would like to know if it is possible to move disk/log.dir from one broker to another and updating
metadata(partition assignment) will work in all cases ? I tried this is Kafka 2.2 and it worked,
but not sure if there are any special cases where it might fail.
________________________________
From: George Li <sql_consulting@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 2:17 AM
To: dev
Subject: Re: Partition Reassignment in Cloud

The new broker host meta.properties file can have the broker.id set to the original broker_id
(with original host shutdown/decommission), the new host has the storage of the original host
(either by copying or by change the network storage mount from original to new host).  This
way, it saves time running reassignments to change old_broker_id => new_broker_id ?

    On Wednesday, June 19, 2019, 9:19:58 PM PDT, Varun Kumar <varunkumar_94@hotmail.com>