kafka-dev mailing list archives

From TEJAL ADSUL <te...@confluent.io>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] KIP-421: Automatically resolve external configurations.
Date Wed, 17 Apr 2019 23:34:37 GMT

Thanks for the feedback Colin. And agree we should enable it for all the components as this
feature is going to benefit all the components and not just Connect. I have updated the KIP
to enable it for all the components.

Thanks,
Tejal

On 2019/04/17 23:22:50, "Colin McCabe" <cmccabe@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 17, 2019, at 07:49, TEJAL ADSUL wrote:
> >
> > Hi Colin,
> >
> >  By default we are enabling this feature only Connect. All the other
> > components can enable or disable the feature as needed.
>
> Hi Tejal,
>
> I believe we should enable automatically resolving external configurations in all components,
not just Connect.  I really can't emphasize this point enough.  If all we care about is Connect,
we don't need a new KIP, because Connect already has external configuration support.  I see
no reason why we shouldn't just enable external configuration support in every component.

> > No it won't reload the configuration if its not configured using KIP
> > 226 as in order for the dynamic configs to be reloaded it has to be
> > triggered by the user using the Admin Client. For static configs we
> > dont perform any reloading and happens only at the construction time.
>
> OK.  We probably should have some generic way of triggering a reload of configurations,
whether or not they're stored in ZK.  But I guess that can wait for a different KIP.

> best,
> Colin
>

> > Thanks,
> > Tejal
> >
> > On 2019/04/17 14:36:33, TEJAL ADSUL <tejal@confluent.io> wrote:
> > > Hi Rajini,
> > >
> > > The user wont have the ability to choose whether config value should be enabled/disabled.
Its enable/disabled per component by hardcoding the value. I have documented your recommendations
in the compatibility sections.