kafka-dev mailing list archives

From "Pellerin, Clement" <Clement_Pelle...@ibi.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] [REMINDER] KIP-383 Pluggable interface for SSL Factory
Date Fri, 25 Jan 2019 14:12:52 GMT
Is this a +1 binding vote?

The KIP says:
Since SslFactory will handle reconfiguration, the idea is to make the configuration immutable
in the pluggable factory. SslFactory would create a new pluggable factory every time the configuration
changes. The pluggable factory creates its SSLContext when it is configured and never changes
it. It turns out SslFactory does not really need the SSLContext, so it can use the new pluggable
factory as an SSLEngine factory instead.

I started implementing the KIP but I never finished. I did not see the point without the necessary
binding votes.
I missed the KIP freeze for 2.2.0 yesterday, which means I will not be able to use that feature
in my project even if I implement it.
I was planning to orphan that KIP today, but as you suggest, I will finish the work and attach
a PR before I consider doing that.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rajini Sivaram [mailto:rajinisivaram@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2019 4:35 AM
To: dev
Subject: Re: [VOTE] [REMINDER] KIP-383 Pluggable interface for SSL Factory

Hi Clement,

Thanks for the KIP, it is looking good. Do you by any chance have a PR that
you can attach to the JIRA? It wasn't clear to me how the SslEngineFactory got
the new keystore/truststore if they were reconfigured. I am assuming the
factory is creating the SSLContext and configuring the context. Doesn't
SslEngineFactory need to be Reconfigurable?