kafka-dev mailing list archives

From Boyang Chen <bche...@outlook.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-394: Require member.id for initial join group request
Date Sun, 20 Jan 2019 23:54:27 GMT
Hey Ismael,

thanks for the suggestion here! I think the reason is because creating individual id on client
is purely random (or at least I couldn't think of how to make sure it is "known to be unique").
Id collision will not be handled gracefully as we could perceive.

However let client generate unique id is a very good idea, which we proposed in KIP-345<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-345%3A+Introduce+static+membership+protocol+to+reduce+consumer+rebalances>
to let end user supply instance identities. This could save us one round-trip time to solve
member identity problem. Since enabling new feature requires user operation that is not guaranteed
to happen, KIP-394 is a patch to alleviate the similar issue for existing consumer use cases.

Best,
Boyang

________________________________
From: Ismael Juma <ismaelj@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2019 6:07 AM
To: dev
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-394: Require member.id for initial join group request

Hi,

I'm late to the discussion, so apologies. One question, did we consider
having the client generate a member id in the first join group? This could
be random or known to be unique and would avoid a second join group request
in the common case. If we considered and rejected this option, it would be
good to include why in the "Rejected Alternatives" section.

Ismael