kafka-dev mailing list archives

From Colin McCabe <cmcc...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] KIP-376: Implement AutoClosable on appropriate classes that want to be used in a try-with-resource statement
Date Fri, 12 Oct 2018 18:42:27 GMT
Hi Yishun,

Thanks for looking at this.

Under "proposed changes," it's not necessary to add a section where you demonstrate adding
"implements AutoCloseable" to the code.  We know what adding that would look like.

Can you create a full, single, list of all the classes that would be affected?  It's not necessary
to write who suggested which classes in the KIP.  Also, I noticed some of the classes here
are in "internals" packages.  Given that these are internal classes that aren't part of our
API, it's not necessary to add them to the KIP, I think.  Since they are implementation details,
they can be changed at any time without a KIP.

The "compatibility" section should have a discussion of the fact that we can add the new interface
without requiring any backwards-incompatible changes at the source or binary level.  In particular,
it would be good to highlight that we are not renaming or changing the existing "close" methods.

Under "rejected alternatives" we could explain why we chose to implement AutoCloseable rather
than Closeable.

cheers,
Colin