kafka-dev mailing list archives

From Chia-Ping Tsai <chia7...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-348 Eliminate null from SourceTask#poll()
Date Sat, 04 Aug 2018 08:17:49 GMT
hi Colin

Thanks for the reviews! You are totally right. The description of KIP-348 is not accurate.
The purpose of KIP-348 is to encourage connector user to substitute empty list to null value,
but at the same time returning null still work.

I will update the KIP-348 ASAP.

cheers,
Chia-Ping

On 2018/08/03 22:56:34, Colin McCabe <cmccabe@apache.org> wrote:
> "No changes to public interface" doesn't seem accurate here.  SourceTask#poll is a public
interface, right?  Kafka connectors that are out-of-tree would certainly break if we disallowed
returning null from this method.

> However, reading the KIP more closely, it seems like both null and the empty list will
be supported.  Perhaps you should discuss this in the compatibility section?  Also, the KIP
should probably be renamed "deprecate null" rather than "eliminate null" since it will still
be possible to return null here, right?