kafka-dev mailing list archives

From James Cheng <wushuja...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-225 - Use tags for consumer “records.lag” metrics
Date Thu, 16 Nov 2017 08:13:00 GMT
This KIP will break backwards compatibility for anyone who is using the existing attribute
names.

Kafka devs, I believe that metrics are a supported interface, and so this would be a breaking
change. In order to do this, we would need a deprecation timeframe for the old metric, and
a transition plan to the new name. Is that right? I'm not sure how we deprecate metrics...

During the deprecation timeframe, we could duplicate the metric to the new name.

-James