kafka-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Bentley <t.j.bent...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-179: Change ReassignPartitionsCommand to use AdminClient
Date Tue, 01 Aug 2017 15:52:10 GMT
> Regarding adding the possibility to alter the topic config through the
> AlterTopic API, the current TopicCommand implementation provides a warning
> on doing this suggesting to use the ConfigCommand tool. So it would be a
> step back allowing to do the configs change with the alter topic as well.

To be clear, I'm not proposing that this be supported via the
kafka-reassign-partitions.sh tool, nor via kafka-topics.sh. It's purely a
question of whether the API for the AlterTopicsRequest/Response and the
AdminClient API would support it. As I said, I really don't like the
duplication of functionality and would prefer to leave it out, even though
it makes for a less "symmetric" API wrt CreateTopicsRequest/Response, but
maybe the community feels otherwise.