kafka-dev mailing list archives

From Michal Borowiecki <michal.borowie...@openbet.com>
Subject Re: Kafka Streams vs Spark Streaming : reduce by window
Date Sun, 18 Jun 2017 09:34:42 GMT
If confusion is the problem, then totally agree no point adding more
knobs. Perhaps you're right that users don't /really/ want
processing-time semantics. Just /think/ they want them until they start
considering replay/catch-up scenarios. I guess people rarely think about
those from the start (I sure didn't).

Cheers,

Michał

On 16/06/17 17:54, Jay Kreps wrote:
> [...]
>
>     Personally, I agree totally with the philosophy of "no final
>     aggregation", as expressed by Eno's post, but IMO that is
>     predicated totally on event-time semantics.
>
>     If users want processing-time semantics then, as the docs already
>     point out, there is no such thing as a late-arriving record -
>     every record just falls in the currently open window(s), hence the
>     notion of final aggregation makes perfect sense, from the
>     usability point of view.
>
>     The single abstraction of "stream time" proves leaky in some cases
>     (e.g. for punctuate method - being addressed in KIP-138). Perhaps
>     this is another case where processing-time semantics warrant
>     explicit handling in the api - but of course, only if there's
>     sufficient user demand for this.
>
>     What I could imagine is a new type of time window
>     (ProcessingTimeWindow?), that if used in an aggregation, the
>     underlying processor would force the WallclockTimestampExtractor
>     (KAFKA-4144 enables that) and would use the system-time
>     punctuation (KIP-138) to send the final aggregation value once the
>     window has expired and could be configured to not send
>     intermediate updates while the window was open.
>
>     Of course this is just a helper for the users, since they can
>     implement it all themselves using the low-level API, as Matthias
>     pointed out already. Just seems there's recurring interest in this.
>
>     Again, this only makes sense for processing time semantics. For
>     event-time semantics I find the arguments for "no final
>     aggregation" totally convincing.
>

>     Cheers,
>
>     Michał
>

>     On 16/06/17 00:08, Matthias J. Sax wrote:
>>     Hi Paolo,
>>
>>     This SO question might help, too:
>>     https://stackoverflow.com/questions/38935904/how-to-send-final-kafka-streams-aggregation-result-of-a-time-windowed-ktable
>>     <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/38935904/how-to-send-final-kafka-streams-aggregation-result-of-a-time-windowed-ktable>
>>
>>     For Streams, the basic model is based on "change" and we report updates
>>     to the "current" result immediately reducing latency to a minimum.
>>
>>     Last, if you say it's going to fall into the next window, you won't get
>>     event time semantics but you fall back processing time semantics, that
>>     cannot provide exact results....
>>
>>     If you really want to trade-off correctness version getting (late)
>>     updates and want to use processing time semantics, you should configure
>>     WallclockTimestampExtractor and implement a "update deduplication"
>>     operator using table.toStream().transform(). You can attached a state to
>>     your transformer and store all update there (ie, newer update overwrite
>>     older updates). Punctuations allow you to emit "final" results for
>>     windows for which "window end time" passed.
>>

>>     -Matthias
>>
>>     On 6/15/17 9:21 AM, Paolo Patierno wrote:
>>>     Hi Eno,
>>>

>>>     regarding closing window I think that it's up to the streaming application.
I mean ...

>>>     If I want something like I described, I know that a value outside my 5 seconds
window will be taken into account for the next processing (in the next 5 seconds). I don't
think I'm losing a record, I am ware that this record will fall in the next "processing" window.
Btw I'll take a look at your article ! Thanks !

>>>     Paolo
>>>

>>>     Paolo Patierno
>>>     Senior Software Engineer (IoT) @ Red Hat
>>>     Microsoft MVP on Windows Embedded & IoT
>>>     Microsoft Azure Advisor
>>>
>>>     Twitter : @ppatierno<http://twitter.com/ppatierno> <http://twitter.com/ppatierno>
>>>     Linkedin : paolopatierno<http://it.linkedin.com/in/paolopatierno>
>>>     <http://it.linkedin.com/in/paolopatierno>
>>>     Blog : DevExperience<http://paolopatierno.wordpress.com/>
>>>     <http://paolopatierno.wordpress.com/>
>>>

>>>     ________________________________

If you disable cache you'll get all the records as you described.

>>>     About closing windows: if you close a window and a late record arrives that
should have been in that window, you basically lose the ability to process that record. In
Kafka Streams we are robust to that, in that we handle late arriving records. There is a comparison
here for example when we compare it to other methods that depend on watermarks or triggers:https://www.confluent.io/blog/watermarks-tables-event-time-dataflow-model/
>>>     <https://www.confluent.io/blog/watermarks-tables-event-time-dataflow-model/>
 <https://www.confluent.io/blog/watermarks-tables-event-time-dataflow-model/>
>>>     <https://www.confluent.io/blog/watermarks-tables-event-time-dataflow-model/>
>>>
>>>     Eno

it's up to the application doing something like we have oob with Spark.

? Isn't it much more code that user has to write for having the same result ?

the usage is pretty simple but this scenario could have a lack against Spark.

Streams.

Interactive Query APIs (so when you query dictates what  data you receive), see thishttps://www.confluent.io/blog/unifying-stream-processing-and-interactive-queries-in-apache-kafka/
 <https://www.confluent.io/blog/unifying-stream-processing-and-interactive-queries-in-apache-kafka/>

of knowledge on my side)with Apache Spark.

check the maximum value in the latest 5 seconds but ... putting the max value into a destination
topic every 5 seconds.

into account previous values in the latest 5 seconds but the final value is put into the destination
topic for each incoming value.

in a window of 5 seconds, puts the max into the destination every 5 seconds (so when the window
ends). If the sequence is 21, 25, 22, 20, 26 the output will be just 26.

max in a window of 5 seconds, puts the max into the destination every 1 seconds (so every
time an incoming value arrives). Of course, if for example the sequence is 21, 25, 22, 20,
26 ... the output will be 21, 25, 25, 25, 26.

--
Signature
<http://www.openbet.com/> 	Michal Borowiecki
Senior Software Engineer L4