kafka-dev mailing list archives

From Michal Borowiecki <michal.borowie...@openbet.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] KIP-155 Add range scan for windowed state stores
Date Wed, 10 May 2017 19:25:47 GMT
Apologies, I missed the discussion (or lack thereof) about the return
type of:

WindowStoreIterator<KeyValue<K, V>> fetch(K from, K to, long timeFrom,
long timeTo)

WindowStoreIterator<V> (as the KIP mentions) is a subclass of
KeyValueIterator<Long, V>

KeyValueIterator<K,V> has the following method:

/** * Peek at the next key without advancing the iterator * @return the
key of the next value that would be returned from the next call to next
*/ K peekNextKey();

Given the type in this case will be Long, I assume what it would return
is the window timestamp of the next found record?

In the case of WindowStoreIterator<V> fetch(K key, long timeFrom, long
timeTo);
all records found by fetch have the same key, so it's harmless to return
the timestamp of the next found window but here we have varying keys and
varying windows, so won't it be too confusing?

KeyValueIterator<Windowed<K>, V> (as in the proposed
ReadOnlySessionStore.fetch) just feels much more intuitive.

Apologies again for jumping onto this only once the voting has already
begun.
Thanks,
Michał