kafka-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Henke <ghe...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Is there already a KIP or JIRA to change auto.create.topics.enable to default to false?
Date Thu, 02 Mar 2017 19:19:54 GMT
I think the idea was that once clients have the ability to create topics,
we would move "auto topic creation" client side and deprecate and
eventually remove the support for server side auto create. This simplifies
error handling, authorization, and puts the client in control of details
like partition counts and replication factor.

There is a jira (KAFKA-2410
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-2410>) tracking the move to
client side auto topic creation and a discussion about some of the details
here:
http://search-hadoop.com/m/Kafka/uyzND1yAwWoCt1yc?subj=+DISCUSS+Client+Side+Auto+Topic+Creation

Since a change in the default behavior of auto.create.topics.enable would
be considered "breaking" I think it would be best to consider this change
as a part of the deprecation and eventual removal of the configuration.
Perhaps 0.11 would be a good timeframe to consider doing that, but it
depends on if the supporting features are complete.

Thanks,
Grant

--
Grant Henke