kafka-dev mailing list archives

From Dana Powers <dana.pow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-4 Create Topic Schema
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2016 16:18:24 GMT
> Ewen's reply sums up my thoughts on the error handling points. It doesn't
> seem ideal to justify the wire protocol behaviour based on the Java
> implementation. If we need map-like semantics in the protocol, then maybe
> we need a `Map` type to complement `Array`? Otherwise, I still think we
> should consider throwing the appropriate errors instead of silently picking
> a behaviour. It would be good to know what others think.

Agree. I would prefer to get an error code back from the broker if I
accidentally submitted duplicate topics, or if I set both partitions +
replicas. I think putting the burden on the client/driver developer to
get this right at the wire protocol level is much easier if there's
immediate error feedback.

-Dana