kafka-dev mailing list archives

From Dana Powers <dana.pow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-4 Create Topic Schema
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2016 19:55:04 GMT
On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 12:19 PM, Ismael Juma <ismael@juma.me.uk> wrote:
> Hi Grant,
>
> Comments below.
>
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 6:52 PM, Grant Henke <ghenke@cloudera.com> wrote:
>>
>> The one thing I want to avoid is to many super specific error codes. I am
>> not sure how much of a problem it really is but in the case of wire
>> protocol errors like multiple instances of the same topic, do you have any
>> thoughts on the error? Should we make a generic InvalidRequest error and
>> log the detailed message on the broker for client authors to debug?
>>

> That is a good question. It would be good to get input from client
> developers like Dana on this.

I think generic error codes are fine if the wire protocol requirements
are documented [i.e., no duplicate topics and partitions/replicas are
either/or not both]. If I get a broker error at the protocol level
that I don't understand, the first place I look is the protocol docs.
It may cause a few more emails to the mailing lists asking for
clarification, but I think those will be easier to triage than
confused emails like "I said create topic with 10 partitions, but I
only got 5???"

-Dana