kafka-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Ismael Juma (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Commented] (KAFKA-3730) Problem when updating from 0.8.2 to 0.9.0
Date Fri, 20 May 2016 16:02:12 GMT

    [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-3730?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=15293606#comment-15293606
] 

Ismael Juma commented on KAFKA-3730:
------------------------------------

ZooKeeper stores information about the brokers under:

`/brokers/ids/{id}`

If you could include that information for all brokers here, that would be helpful.

> Problem when updating from 0.8.2 to 0.9.0
> -----------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: KAFKA-3730
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-3730
>             Project: Kafka
>          Issue Type: Bug
>    Affects Versions: 0.8.2.1, 0.9.0.0
>         Environment: SUSE SLE 10.3 64bit
>            Reporter: Clint Hillerman
>            Priority: Critical
>              Labels: newbie
>
> Hello,
> I'm having trouble upgrading a 3 node kafka cluster from 0.8.2.1 to 0.9.0.0. I have followed
the steps in the upgrade guide here:
> http://kafka.apache.org/documentation.html
> Also, my zookeepers are on the same box as kafka. Each node is both a zookeeper and a
broker.
> Here's what I did:
> On each box one at a time I,
> - stopped kafka.
> - replaced the code with the new version. Just removed the old kafka dir and untared
the new 0.9.0.0 version into it's place. Note: the data dir is in a different location and
was not deleted.
> - copied the server.properties file from the 0.8.2.1 version to the 0.9.0.0 config dir.
> - added the "inter.broker.protocol.version=0.8.2.X" line to the server.properties in
0.9.0.0's config dir.
> - restarted kafka
> After I completed that process on all 3 broker/zookeeper boxes, I switched the version
to 0.9.0.0 in the server.properties on one broker and restarted kafka.
> This caused an error in my server.log. About one every few seconds:
> [2016-05-18 15:00:27,956] WARN [ReplicaFetcherThread-0-12], Error in fetch kafka.server.ReplicaFetcherThread$FetchRequest@45597bba.
Possible cause: org.apache.kafka.common.protocol.types.SchemaException: Error reading field
'responses': Error reading field 'topic': java.nio.BufferUnderflowException (kafka.server.ReplicaFetcherThread)
> A few other things I tried:
> Restarting zookeepers. There status was also correct when I ran "server mapr-zookeeper"
qstatus.
> The same process with 9.1 and got this error instead:
> [2016-05-18 14:07:15,545] WARN [ReplicaFetcherThread-0-12], Error in fetch kafka.server.ReplicaFetcherThread$FetchRequest@484ad173.
Possible cause: org.apache.kafka.common.protocol.types.SchemaException: Error reading field
'responses': Error reading array of size 1078124, only 176 bytes available (kafka.server.ReplicaFetcherThread)
> Restarting everything at once (all broker and zookeeper processes)
> Please let me know if I should provide more information or if posted this in the wrong
location. I'm also not sure if this is the right location to post bugs like this. If there
is a forum or something where this is more appropriate please point in that direction.
> Thanks,
> cmhillerman



--
This message was sent by Atlassian JIRA
(v6.3.4#6332)

Mime
View raw message