jspwiki-user mailing list archives

From Trevor Turton <tre...@turton.co.za>
Subject Re: JspWiki in clustered environment
Date Wed, 08 Apr 2009 10:27:46 GMT
While you're talking about the question of performance, may I suggest
that JSPWiki could gain substantial performance benefits by using
RESTful principles?  (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REST).  I hasten
to add that JSPWiki's performance is plenty good enough for me, I have a
closed membership of only 2,000 or so people to service.  But if the
JSPWiki development community decides that it needs to handle really big
volumes then you could refactor the URLs that they conform to the REST
approach.  So for example where the URL might currently look like
http://bigwiki.org/Wiki.jsp?page=SomePage to read SomePage, or
http://bigwiki.org/Edit.jsp?page=SomePage to get an editable copy, or
http://bigwiki.org/Delete.jsp?page=SomePage to delete the page, the URLs
could be changed to something like http://bigwiki.org/page/SomePage/GET
to get a read-only copy, http://bigwiki.org/page/SomePage/EDIT to get an
editable copy, http://bigwiki.org/page/SomePage/POST to send an updated
copy, http://bigwiki.org/page/SomePage/DELETE to delete the page, and so
forth.

Together with this change JSPWiki could generate an ETag (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_ETag) for each wiki page that is
changed only when the source wiki page changes.  If a browser needs to
get a wiki page (in HTML format of course), it will check whether it has
a cached copy, and if it does, it will include its ETag in the http
request that it issues.  Most http requests go via a caching proxy
server somewhere along the line, and these will check if they have a
cached copy and whether it is still valid.  If so, and if its ETag
matches that in the browser's request then the caching proxy will return
a 304, telling the browser that its copy of the page is still current.
Only if the caching proxy servers don't have a copy of the page, or they
do and it has expired, will the http request go to the originating web
server.  It can still issue a 304 return code if the browser's (or
caching proxy server's) copy of the page is still current, otherwise it
will send back the new page (converted into HTML) with the page's latest
ETag.  Most web accesses are read-only, and this surely applies to most
wikis as well.  RESTful principles would allow the source wiki server to
offload most read-only accesses to the rich web infrastructure that is
already in place for just that purpose.

Trevor Turton