jspwiki-user mailing list archives

From "lgilardoni61@gmail.com" <lgilardon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Anything similar to wikipedia templates?
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2008 09:54:32 GMT
Murray Altheim wrote:
> As an author/maintainer of the TranscludePlugin, I perked up my ears
> when reading about this, but on looking at the WikiMedia templating
> feature I frankly think it's got to be one of the ugliest things I've
> seen in awhile.
>
> What I would be willing to do is incorporate an API-like method into
> the TranscludePlugin, such that someone could extend it with their
> own Substitution (transform) feature. That wouldn't be a lot of work
> for me, and if someone was so masochistic as to want to duplicate the
> WikiMedia features, hell, all power to 'em.
>
> If this would suit, let me know and we can discuss adding the hook
> to TranscludePlugin to permit this.
Well, I actually had a look at the InsertPage plugin (source) and the
TranscludePlugin (jspwiki.org description).
In either case what's really needed is just a substitution mechanism to
be build on top/hookable to either.
After that, your right, all power to 'em.

Not yet exactly planned to do either, but If I had enough time (unsure I
have ;-)  I would probably do right now,
looks not that difficult (at least for the InsertPage where I had a
look). If only this could be useful to others,
would probably be better to agree on syntax to specify parameters.

Whether or not such a specific feature (I mean the Wikipedia templating
stuff - or something alike) may prove useful
(or ugly - this also may depend on how things grow up ..) is a different
story. Personally I feel this could help a lot in
avoiding duplication whenever (part of) a wiki  content should be
commonly structured (visually) over a number of
standard things. But I'm eager to ear other opinions :-)

Luca