jspwiki-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Jaquith <andrew.r.jaqu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: database script simplifications?
Date Sat, 18 May 2013 11:22:05 GMT
Some context:

I created the Postgres scripts mostly because that was the database I used in production,
not so much because of a surge in requests for Postgres support. :)

The filtering scripts were made so that, in theory, one could easily map into an existing
database where user and group info was kept.

In practice I think our implementation of password hashing, for example, makes it unlikely
that JSPWiki would ever share a database with another application. It's too specific to JSPWiki.

So, +1 on both of Glen's recommendations. I agree with his logic.

Andrew

On May 17, 2013, at 10:22 PM, Glen Mazza <glen.mazza@gmail.com> wrote:

> Are you sure?  The filtering is used only with "CREATE TABLE" and subsequent INSERT INTO
statements, so there's no adapting to existing tables that could be occurring. All I can see
with the filtering, is, as I mentioned earlier, if we decide to change a table or column name
in jspwiki.properties so it propagates to both the PostgreSQL and the HSQLDB scripts, a use
case that in addition to never happening doesn't help much as it would be easy to update two
files anyway.  i.e., the added complexity seems to be well failing cost/benefit analysis.
Further, an external user won't be able to use the scripts as-is without running Ant to populate
the table and column names, so it's not helping external users--they would benefit from no
filtering because it can give them scripts they can use OOTB without messing with Maven/Ant.

> All we ever test on personally in hsqldb today, which indicates we (ourselves) don't
need the postgresql scripts (I'm guessing JSPWiki first used PostgreSQL while HSQLDB was a
newcomer, but now the latter is much more common than the former--the scripts themselves date
to 2006 judging from the timestamps in the insert statements); further, for external users,
these are very simple create table statements, easily adaptable as anyone would like to Oracle/MySQL/Derby/SQLServer
whatever, they won't be benefitting from a second set of PostgreSQL SQL statements.  I mean
if we had HSQL and MySQL, or Derby or Oracle scripts that might make sense to retain, but
not that many care about PostgreSQL today.

> While I can activate filtering in Maven as well, that's doable (we're doing enough of
it already), without any further information to the contrary I'd +1 on getting rid of the
filtering and the postgresql scripts, let's simplify here and we can easily bring it back
later should we get requests for it.

>>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/**incubator/jspwiki/trunk/src/**
>>> test/resources/jspwiki.**properties?revision=1479697&**view=markup#l99<http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/jspwiki/trunk/src/test/resources/jspwiki.properties?revision=1479697&view=markup#l99>
>>>
>>> The idea is that we can change a table or column name in one place
>>> (jspwiki.properties) and it will cascade to the hsql and postgresql
>>> scripts.  However, we only have a few tables and we almost never (probably
>>> never) change table and column names anyway.  I think it might be good to
>>> remove the filtering and just hardcode the table and column names in the
>>> create scripts.  That will simplify the Maven pom and jspwiki.properties
>>> files a bit as well as make the system easier to understand. WDYT?
>>>
>>> Also, do we need the PostgreSQL scripts today?
>>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/**incubator/jspwiki/trunk/etc/**db/<http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/jspwiki/trunk/etc/db/>First
of all I'm unsure if these database scripts (hsql and postgresql) are