jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Deepak Shetty <shet...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: No events/requests were captured by JMeter [v3.3] in IE [v11] for a web application
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2018 18:09:40 GMT
Hi
looks like someone has written a utility -
https://flood.io/blog/convert-har-files-to-jmeter-test-plans/ .I dont
recollect if IE has a way from network tab to save all requests as HAR -
Chrome does. IF IE doesnt youll have to convert one request at a time and
then keep copying the result so that you have a single JMeter script.

If you wanted to do it all by yourself then
a. You should have a reasonably good understanding of HTTP
b. You should have a reasonably good understanding of JMeter features
c. You should have a reasonably good understanding of your application -
whats significant , what isnt , whats dynamic , what needs to be measured
etc

Next open network tab in developer tools and make sure that the clear
entries on navigate is not set so that you can record all requests and that
IE is capturing the requests (the green triangle). Its probably a good idea
to do it with a clean IE (no browsers , no cache etc and you should
probably check the Always refresh from server)
Next execute the steps on IE that you want your script to execute . You'll
see IE capturing a bunch of requests.
Click the first one - you can see the Request URL , headers, parameters ,
cookies etc. These can be manually entered into the JMeter script as a HTTP
sampler. The URL goes into the path - The parameters as individual
parameters in the sampler

Note : You probably want to add a HTTP request defaults (so that you dont
need to specify the server name everytime as well as when you then
parameterise this for environments you can make changes in one place) . You
also need to add a Cookie Manager for e.g. if your system uses cookies and
a Header Manager since you usually have common headers (This is where you
need to map Jmeter features to your script)

Next youll notice a bunch of requests related to your browser downloading
Javascripts , Images , CSS files and depending on your application a bunch
of other URLs . This is where you need to decide what you are testing and
how you are going to test it - for e.g. you may elect to not worry about
images/css/js and if so you'd just ignore these - You might elect to just
use JMeters download embedded resources on HTTP sampler and again you can
then ignore these requests because JMeter will automatically download them
(but verify it is downloading all!)  OR you might choose to deal with these
as separate requests (e.g. say one of the images are dynamically generated
server side charts) and so on.

You will notice some parameters that are being sent by the browser that
look dynamic and then you will need to figure out how to extract them and
use JMeter post processors and variables

You might also see some requests that have a response code other than 200
and you would then again decide whether you want these as separate requests
or you just want to check follow redirects on the sampler

After all that you might run your script and then see that it just doesnt
work - AT which time youll have to go and do a step by step comparison and
see whats the difference

Note that an automatically recorded script has much of the same problems so
you cant avoid some of these problems. You might find some examples on the
web that perhaps go into a little more detail .

regards
deepak