jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Felix Schumacher <felix.schumac...@internetallee.de>
Subject Re: stress testing with ramp-up and time periods (LDAP/SLAMD)
Date Sat, 13 Oct 2018 13:55:48 GMT

Am 11.10.2018 um 01:31 schrieb Quanah Gibson-Mount:
> Hi,
>
> In the past I've used slamd to stress test various LDAP servers to
> determine what the max throughput is that they could handle for
> various operations or sets of operations.  However, in reading the
> jmeter docs, I'm not clear how one would replicate this type of testing.
>
> Generally, in SLAMD, I could configure things to behave in the
> following way:
>
> 1) Set up your distributed clients (as can be done with jmeter)
>
> 2) Configure the overall system so that each client starts out with
> initially 1 thread executing your task, with W amount of warmup time,
> and then a duration of X, with a cooldown of Y seconds afterward. Then
> increment the thread count on each client, and do the same thing.  You
> do this until there is no performance increase for at least Z
> iterations. Once that maximum is determined, re-run the best iteration
> for a configured amount of time.
>
> For example, here's the generated report for a stress test I ran
> several years ago:
>
> <https://mishikal.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/mdb_slamd_data_report.pdf>
>
> In this case, I had 16 distributed clients.  They would run each
> iteration for 1200 seconds, with a 30 second delay between
> iterations.  They would start with 1 thread each, and no specified
> maximum (since this is controlled by the improvement counter). There
> was a warmup of 60 seconds before statistics would be gathered and the
> iteration timer was started and a cooldown of 60 seconds at the end of
> the iteration.  Statistics are collected every 10 seconds.
>

> Does anyone have pointers and/or documentation that would allow me to
> set up a similar sort of stress test with jmeter as slamd was
> abandoned several years ago?

I have to admit, that I didn't completely understood how you wanted to
accomplish with your setup.

With JMeter you can use ramp-up period out of the box, that will start
one thread after another over the specified duration. You can limit the
overall duration of the test by using the scheduler of the default
thread group.

If you need more you can look for JMeter plugins.
Have you had a look at the JMeter plugin
https://jmeter-plugins.org/wiki/ConcurrencyThreadGroup/?

For the reports have a look at the report generation
http://jmeter.apache.org/usermanual/generating-dashboard.html

Regards,
  Felix