jmeter-user mailing list archives

From David Fertig <David.Fer...@navihealth.com>
Subject RE: Passing variables to Random function
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2018 15:34:06 GMT
>${__Random(0,${__evalVar(numFiles)})}

Unfortunately this also does not work.

2018-08-23 11:32:53,096 ERROR o.a.j.JMeter: Uncaught exception: java.lang.NumberFormatException:
For input string: ""

-----Original Message-----
From: Felix Schumacher <felix.schumacher@internetallee.de>
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2018 11:14 AM
To: user@jmeter.apache.org
Subject: Re: Passing variables to Random function

Am 22.08.2018 um 17:06 schrieb Felix Schumacher:

> Am 21.08.2018 um 21:32 schrieb David Fertig:
>> I have a variable called numFiles, which I can print and verify
>> contains an integer.
>> Integer numFiles = vars.getObject("numFiles");
>>
>> I want to make a random number between 0 and that value.  But all of
>> the following fail ${__Random(0,__ ${numFiles},docIndex)};
>>
>> Integer docIndex  = ${__Random(0,${numFiles})};
>>
>> ${__Random(0,__ numFiles,docIndex)};
>>
>> Integer docIndex  = ${__Random(0,numFiles)};
>>
>> All with an errors like:
>> Uncaught Exception java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string:
>> "${NUMFILES}". See log file for details.
>>
>> Uncaught Exception java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string:
>> "numFiles". See log file for details.
>>
>> How do I pass a variable into the random() function?
> It seems that this is a bug. At the moment the Strings given to
> __Random will not be evaluated (and therefore the Integer will not be
> transformed into a String).
On second thought "bug" might be a bit harsh, as no function in JMeter will currently transform
those values by itself (yet?).

To answer your question, you could use __evalVar function to convert your Integer into a String:

${__Random(0,${__evalVar(numFiles)})}

Regards,
  Feli

This email, including attachments, may contain information that is privileged, confidential
or is exempt from disclosure under applicable law (including, but not limited to, protected
health information). It is not intended for transmission to, or receipt by, any unauthorized
persons. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent
responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
If you believe this email was sent to you in error, do not read it. Please notify the sender
immediately informing them of the error and delete all copies and attachments of the message
from your system. Thank you.