jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Kirk Pepperdine <kirk.pepperd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Very beginner question
Date Mon, 08 May 2017 16:28:24 GMT
Hi Lily,

Running 7K threads is generally not a great idea. Not in a single JVM or multiple JVMs running
on the same machine.  Instead of focusing on the number of concurrent users I would suggest
you focus on the load that the server is suppose to handle. Then you can calculate the load
over time and then set the number of users so that you can maintain that load.

For example if I want to manage a request rate of 100 request arrivals per second and I want
to test for 2 hours, I would schedule 720000 threads to be released over the two hour period
at the rate of 100 / second. Make sure you stutter the request by putting a random pause at
the top of the thread group. Pause would be 0-1000ms.

Thread Group configuration...
Threads: 7200000
Warmup: 7200 (seconds)
Repeat: 1

With the setup prescribed above you should see the number of active threads stabilize at some
value after some period of time. If you don’t, the server isn’t keeping up. If the server
keeps up, you have a load test. If the server doesn’t keep up, it should fall over close
to the same way it would fall over if deployed. If you need a request arrival rate greater
than 100 then I would move to a distributed JMeter configuration. IME, 100 / second is about
the max release rate that JMeter can comfortably manage. After that JMeter tends to fall over
with OOME or other like resource exhaustion conditions.

Having threads spin sets your test up to suffer from coordinated commission (CO)  (see one
of Gil Tene’s talks on the subject). The downside of this condition is that you’ll be
testing at much lower than expected loads and that will skew your results in the wrong direction.
Setting the repeat factor to 1 means the thread will only run through the thread group once
but by doing so will limit the effects of CO.

Kind regards,
Kirk Pepperdine