jmeter-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Facing a critical doubt/issue is Jmeter
Date Tue, 15 Mar 2016 14:49:40 GMT
On 15 March 2016 at 14:30, Dave Newton <davelnewton@gmail.com> wrote:
> Over and over people have said/asked if you are using cookies in jMeter.
> Without them and server-side support for not having them, you don't have
> user sessions. Not sure what else to say.

Indeed.

The server sees a request from a client. It does not see the client.

Unless there is something in the request that identifies the session -
e.g. a cookie or a unique URL parameter - the request cannot reliably
be associated with a session.

==

Note that IP address is useless as a session identifier as IP
addresses will be shared between different logins on a multi-user
system (remember those?) as well as multiple hosts behind NAT.
Or even multiple browsers on the same host.

So if that is what the server is using to identify sessions, no wonder
JMeter can login multiple times.

The most one can assume is: if two different requests have different
IPs then they are different sessions - probably, because if the host
is multi-homed that might not be true.
Don't rely on IP address.