jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Ha Pham <ha.p...@novobi.com>
Subject Re: Separate User Processes?
Date Thu, 18 Feb 2016 19:56:22 GMT
Flavio and Alan,

Not sure if I misunderstood what Alan wants to achieve but each virtual
JMeter user has a separate thread (~process) so if you set JMeter to have 2
concurrent users, by default web server will consider those are 2 separate
users and will assign 2 different sessions UNLESS your web server was built
to assign session based on IP (rarely happen) because in that case both
users will have the same IP so will have an issue. You can verify this by
enable View Result Tree and see different JSESSIONIDs (which is the token
the server sends back to JMeter so that JMeter automatically sends it in
subsequent requests for the server to associate the server-side session to
the correct user) for different users.

1 JMeter can easily create hundreds of concurrent users with couple GB RAM.
It only uses significant memory if you enable heavy plugins e.g. View
Result Tree. Maybe I miss something but I don't really see the need to run
many JMeter scripts and each has only 1 user. The startup/shutdown process
is more expensive than adding another concurrent user to an existing JMeter
and that may affect the collected metrics.

Flavio is correct that tokens are typically cookies, however, token can
also be embedded in the response from servers.  If it's cookie, Cookie
Manager will handle it automatically for you (stores in local and sends in
future requests). If tokens are embedded in response from servers, you will
need to parse the response to retrieve tokens and send them along in future
requests.

Hope can help

-Ha Pham
www.novobi.com