jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Felix Schumacher <felix.schumac...@internetallee.de>
Subject Re: Concurrent GB File PUTs causing Out of Memory
Date Sat, 09 Jan 2016 21:44:39 GMT
Am 09.01.2016 um 22:26 schrieb Felix Schumacher:
> Am 09.01.2016 um 22:15 schrieb Felix Schumacher:
>> Am 08.01.2016 um 22:23 schrieb Ahmad Alnafoosi:
>>> Hi
>>> I have a jmeter performance multi-stage test using HTTP REST API.
>>> The test has 10 concurrent users
>>> The test fails on Object Upload (PUT) that are 100MB  (and larger)
>>> in size with Out of Memory Exception.
>> Which sampler did you use and what was the configuration you used in it?
>> Is your REST API sending back large amounts of data?
>>
>> I have tested a simple upload page with a 400 MB file and 100
>> concurrent threads. The memory usage did not pass 250 MB.
>>
>> I used "HTTP Request" sampler with implementation "HttpClient4",
>> method "POST" and added the file in the panel "Send File With the
>> Request:".
> Oops, I just read, that you are using PUT. Will have to test again.
Your observation is right. The PUT (PATCH, DELETE and WebDAV methods)
data, will get stored in memory. POST has a mechanism to ignore the
contents.

If you can compile and patch jmeter, you might want to try the attached
path, which will store only the first 100 bytes of the sent files. (The
patch should probably better use the mechanism from POST, but that would
have been more work for me, for now.)

You can create a bugzilla entry if you like.

Regards,
  Felix

> Felix
>>
>> Regards,
>>  Felix
>>>
>>> I did some research on Jmeter Memory optimization.  I did not find
>>> anything on the issue that I am dealing with specifically.
>>>
>>> So I followed optimization recommendations and did the following:
>>> 1- Removed all listeners from the test
>>> 2- Running from non gui command line
>>> 3- Saving JTL as CSV
>>> 4- doing all the graph and summery as post process outside the test.
>>> 5- Experimented and Increase heap up to 20 GB as follows