jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Benoit BARTHELEMY <benoit.barthel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Graphite backend-listener : how-to prevent dot sanitizing in sampler name
Date Thu, 03 Dec 2015 08:29:29 GMT
Thanks for this kick reply !

The example is really simple :

In my current setup I have to play a large test plan divided in several
steps substeps etc...

The graphite backend-listener is writing samplers data series this way :
rootprefix.samplername.metric

My idea was to take avantage of the graphite series format by changing
rootprefix or samplername to write something like:
jmeter.user.step.substep.action.metric

At the other end influxdb can easily extract tags from the series and
actually record an entry for metric mesurement tagged with the action,
step, substep and user : real simplification for subsequent queries from
our graphing software (grafana at the moment).

The catch is graphite format use dots to separate fields and influxdb
templates are using those fields to parse tags.

So I tried to change sampler names to match my intended graphite format and
ran into the sanitizing of the sampler names that replace my precious dots
with ugly underscores !

I've tried a couple of workarounds :
- Using a  variable rootprefix that I change on each step : but the
rootprefix is evaluated once just like UDV.
- Using a backend-listener per step : only the first is user.

I'm currently stuck with almost raw data in influxdb that are much more
difficult to exploit.

That's why I think dots should be usable in sampler names, at least when
using the graphite backend-listener.

Thanks for your help !

Benoit BARTHELEMY