jmeter-user mailing list archives

From "Dang Quoc Bao (FHO.FSB)" <Bao...@fsoft.com.vn>
Subject RE: The best value for Constant timers in Jmeter
Date Tue, 11 Aug 2015 02:43:02 GMT

Hi man!
Thanks for your supporting, and if I have a test plan with 5000 concurrent users so What is
value of constant timer? Or What is value of Throughput Constant Timers.
Best Regards
Dang Quoc Bao

-----Original Message-----
From: Deepak Shetty [mailto:shettyd@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, August 10, 2015 9:26 PM
To: JMeter Users List
Subject: Re: The best value for Constant timers in Jmeter

Hi
>"What is the best value for Constant timers in Jmeter?"
There isn't a best value - Timers are used to simulate think times in a test (or introduce
delays) and are dependent on what you are trying to do in your test. For e,g, if say a user
is presented a registration form , then the user is likely to spend some time filling(larger
delay) it v/s say a search results page where the user might simply click the top result (smaller
delay). So its upto you and your test  As such the constant timer doesn't work for most use
cases -since delays are random in nature. Constant timers are sometimes useful in diagnosing
race/ deadlock conditions where it is for e.g. necessary that thread 2 start exactly x milliseconds
after thread 1

>Should I use Constant timers or use Throughput Constant timers?
Again - depends on what you want to do.
Constant timers - delay a thread for the specified time Constant throughput timer - Maintain
the throughput at the specified value (i.e. say you want to accomplish 100 requests per minute).

Note in both cases while the names say "constant" - the value can be changed while the test
is running.

I'd suggest you think about what you want your test to do and then match it to how to do that
in JMeter rather than the other way around.

regards
deepak