jmeter-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: is there a way to randomize CSV file values?
Date Mon, 06 Apr 2015 16:44:41 GMT
On 6 April 2015 at 16:59, Shmuel Krakower <shmulikk@gmail.com> wrote:
> To be honest, as a user of jmeter I would expect it to allow me to check a
> checkbox in the csv data set config element for random order. This is not
> the first time that this topic is being asked for and it is pretty basic.

It is not possible in general to implement this without requiring lots
of processing and/or memory.

e.g. how to find the nth row in a CSV file which uses variable length records?
How to keep track of which entries have already been processed?

Yes, it is of course possible, but it is not trivial.

Given that there are easy work-rounds, there is little incentive for
the developers to spend time on implementing, testing, documenting and
maintaining such a feature.

> Maybe someone will implement such a feature ?
>
> The implementation can be writing to a temp file on filesystem during the
> initialization of the config element and deleting it once the test is done.

This can already be done using a shell script.
And if you want JMeter to run the shell script that can be done using
the OS Sampler.

It does not make sense to overload the config element with this extra
processing.