jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Shmuel Krakower <shmul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Embedded resources getting downloaded sequentially
Date Sun, 12 Apr 2015 09:21:51 GMT
In general I focus on "Dynamic Resources" load testing only.
This means that I never use the download embedded resources feature.

There are few reasons for that:
1. This feature will almost never cover all the static resources, as in
today apps, lots of resources are loaded by javascripts which are not
executed in jmeter. Those, I better not cover it at all, than partially.
2. This feature may not behave as a real browser, as for example parallel
download of resources is limited per DNS / Hostname in browsers while it
isn't in JMeter.
3. Most of the static resources are anyways configured for browser side
caching, thus the overall benefit of using that feature when the cache
config element in place is invisible.
4. It is hard to analyze or look at load test results as they are affected
by static resources where it is hard to tell if a slowdown or an error is
caused by a static resource or really by a core functionality slowdown on
the server side.
5. What's the value of the total number you get which is a sum of main +
all static requests? A sum of them all doesn't tell much - it would be more
useful to know the time between the first main page request until the time
where you got the last byte of the last request as most of the embedded
resources are download in parallel and you only care of the total time of
execution.

So overall - I'd suggest not to use this feature unless you have a real use
case to over complex your test.

Shmuel Krakower.
www.Beatsoo.org - re-use your jmeter scripts for application performance