jmeter-user mailing list archives

From chaitanya bhatt <bhatt.chaita...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Thoughts on InfluxDB/Grafana integration
Date Mon, 13 Apr 2015 19:48:15 GMT
I did check with Torkelo(one of the core developer of Grafana) on
Gitter(GitHub chat) and based on our conversation I felt the scripting
feature in Grafana is still in its infancy. It has very little
documentation and scripting style is very verbose and not easy. Until more
work goes into making the scripting language easy and extensible I felt
using an external tool such the Automation Dashboard Generation tool Jmeter
is a better option as it also allows you generate metrics based on Jmeter
script.

It's not hard to automatically generate a statically defined dashboard and
to inject the dasboard json into InfluxDB. It is a good idea. But the
BackendGraphiteListener is an abstract listener. It is not built just by
keeping InfluxDB and Grafana in mind. The beauty of Jmeter is that it is
extensible, and by making Jmeter core too focused on some external would be
like going against the core design principle.  A better solution would be
to develop an third-party Jmeter plugin which integrates well with Grafana
and InfluxDB.

Thanks
Chaitanya M Bhatt
http://www.performancecompetence.com