jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <mark.o.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache JMeter Vs SoupUI for API Functional Testing?
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2015 17:13:11 GMT
You'll probably get lots of JMeter fans on this this list and just as much
enthusiasm for SoapUI on some other forum.

Our organization uses both tools fairly enthusiastically.

Where I find JMeter to be superior is in *functional integration testing*
because of the multi protocol capabilities. I can do anything I want over
HTTP with (SOAP/XML WS, JSON, whatever) and then make a JDBC connection or
LDAP search in the next step with rich assertions at every turn. Same goes
for the general flexibility of the scripting tools. If I am dealing with a
JSON response from a service call, I can use a JavaScript postprocessor to
do JSON.parse() on the response text. Similarly, if I want to do something
fancy with an XML response, I can fire up a JRUBY script in a JSR-223
component and use REXML to parse XML with unlimited flexibility. Much of
this approach would make no sense if one was putting a multithreaded load
test together (read: slow). But from a single threaded, functional test
perspective, it is very powerful.

Just to round out the story, we drive our JMeter functional tests on a
schedule using Jenkins and parse jtl xml results with Performance Plugin.
Building upon this stylesheet [http://shanhe.me/node/18/314] we use ant to
run xslt transforms and publish test results. It's been very successful.

Part of what I observe with the SoapUI / JMeter comparison is that the
SoapUI gui leaves people with the impression that it is more modern / fancy
(and that the plain Swing UI in JMeter has the opposite effect).  It's just
good to be aware of this and drive the conversation beyond the tool UI
towards specific evaluation of each tool's support of your actual goals.

Mark