jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Sergio Boso <ser...@bosoconsulting.it>
Subject Re: jmeter out of memory on 4gb streaming response (1 request, 1 thread)
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2015 22:23:54 GMT
In my experience,

the main problem is that Jmeter tries to keep all the response in memory, in order to support
content validation (e..g. reg exp
matching etc.).
This obviously doesn't work for very large file like yours is.

The only work around I found was using an OS sampler + wget command.
Not the simplest thing, not always applicable, but in my case it worked out.

ciao

Il 13/01/2015 17.35, Colin Freas ha scritto:
> Oh man.  I swear I read the HTTP request docs, or I thought I did.  But
> there it is:"Save response as MD5 hash? | If this is selected, then the
> response is not stored in the sample result. Instead, the 32 character MD5
> hash of the data is calculated and stored instead. This is intended for
> testing large amounts of data."
>
> Thanks so much!
>
> -Colin
>
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 11:19 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 13 January 2015 at 03:00, Colin Freas <colinfreas@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'm testing a REST call that streams data back in a response.  JMeter
>> works
>>> fine with small files, but when I stream a 4gb file, it just chokes,
>> every
>>> time:  "ERROR - jmeter.threads.JMeterThread: Test failed!
>>> java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Requested array size exceeds VM limit"
>>>
>>> Some troubleshooting I have already tried:
>>>      * modified the heap to 6gb (running on a MBP with 16gb)
>>>      * running headless
>>>      * no listeners
>>>
>>> These tests are just for throughput and performance.  I don't need a
>> single
>>> byte from the response.  My first thought is to just tell JMeter to
>> discard
>>> it.  Is there a way to do that?
>> Yes, select "Save response as MD5 hash?"
>>
>> http://jmeter.apache.org/usermanual/component_reference.html#HTTP_Request
>>
>>> If there's a different approach here, I'm open to ideas.  Really any
>>> suggestions appreciated!
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Colin

Ing. Sergio Boso