jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Deepak Shetty <shet...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Coding JMeter tests
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2014 16:42:14 GMT
My 2 cents in no coherent order and with a heavy dose of bias.

*"If we scope the discussion (for simplicity) to Java developers, I believe
that if they take JMeter as a library or a framework, which will live
inside the IDE, so it allows them to write tests in Java code and some
mechanism to run those tests, it will increase the attraction of JMeter in
the eyes of developers."*

1) I believe that such developers are the ones who mainly believe in the
Unit Test cases are really, really important type (usually those who have
looked at Agile or XP rather than reading up on testing in general)
it follows then that running the tests within the IDE is also important -
As such you could ask your developers to use JWebUnit + JUnitPerf  or
Grinder or equivalent and see how well they take to it (my guess if your
above observation is accurate would be not well - mainly because functional
and integration end to end tests are hard to do). The developers who truly
believe that tests (functional, integration and load) are important don't
care about the number of GUIs (or indeed the number of different test tools
that you actually have to use )

2) I remember awhile ago someone had asked for the ability of JMeter to be
embeddable in a program and sebb had replied that it would be a major
architectural change.I think the feature would be nice to have - but I
don't believe it would increase adoption the way you think it would.

3) I don't think developers see that much value in testing when the tests
are hard to do (which is why I believe so much literature is wasted on Unit
Test cases - the lowest hanging fruit) - A lot of devs I know pay lip
service to the importance of testing and then go on doing whatever they
normally do - i.e. check a couple of things manually and then pass the buck
to the testing team.
The other problem I have as a developer is that if I haven't thought of
something while coding it , I'm unlikely to come up with a test case for it
- So If for e.g. I haven't thought that a particular value is optional, and
so haven't  coded a null check , I'm unlikely to write a test case for that
specific scenario and all my code coverage tools show good coverage (no
branch for null and no test case for that either) - so Im not sure whether
its a good thing to rely only on developers (the temptation is present
whenever someone says I have N000 tests running and all passed!).

regards
deepak