jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Philippe Mouawad <philippe.moua...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Coding JMeter tests
Date Fri, 14 Nov 2014 22:57:39 GMT
Hello,
Very interesting discussion.
thanks @Flavio for the nice words on JMeter :-)

My 2 cents:
- first your opinion on jmeter roadmap would be welcome, See
https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@jmeter.apache.org/msg03444.html
- to answer this request (if we decide it is worth doing it) we could
first  provide a public API (would be possible in shorter term) to create
and run the test as for now there is no "official" API to do it
- In the future a DSL (more work) could be a possible way. Inspired by
ruby-jmeter and developed with Groovy which seems well suited for DSLs .
Patches are welcome :-)

Now regarding the discussion:
- As a tester, I am convinced that GUI is really useful and mandatory,
particularly when you are not the developer of the application under test,
without it, correlation is hard. Some may say JMeter GUI is not sexy, IMHO
it is not a serious argument but we take it into account and try to improve
GUI , 2.12 version makes an important progress with the enhancement of HTTP
Script Recorder and with UNDO/REDO Alpha feature but we still have bugs
that need to be fixed to complete the work on this feature.
- As a developer it is true that initially mastering the GUI  put me in
uncomfortable zone (as it is outside of my IDE), but learning it is really
worth it. Also take tools like firebug, developers use them, they are not
in their IDE but are highly used, so I am not sure about the IDE argument.
- With DevOps success, it is possible that load testing is introduced very
early in the development cycle and written by developers, in this cases
having a DSL is interesting for coders, mainly for source versioning, so it
is worth studying the feature.

--
Regards.
Philippe M.