jmeter-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: what is the use of assertion
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2014 12:56:25 GMT
On 9 October 2014 13:44, Robin D. Wilson <rwilson2@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here's a real-life example:
>
> In our web application, many of our pages return a "200" response code, but the actual
page returned is an error message to the end user. In our system, all of our "end user error
messages" follow a consistent pattern in the HTML of the returned page. So we have a negative
assertion that checks that these patterns don't exist in any returned page - so we know that
the system did not return an error during the JMeter run.

> Likewise, on most pages we have an assertion for some HTML pattern that will only be
present if the correct successful page is returned.

> BUT, assertions are relatively expensive in JMeter - meaning they add a lot of test of
processing to the script, and slow down throughput of JMeter. (They use regular expressions
to parse the returned data fro the server, which takes a lot of compute power.)
So use them efficiently...

There are many different Assertions; some are more expensive than others.
The Response Assertion only uses regexes for 'Contains' and 'Matches'
If 'Substring' can be used, it will be cheaper.