jmeter-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Distributed Testing with Multiple IPs per server
Date Fri, 17 Oct 2014 21:04:20 GMT
On 17 October 2014 19:28, Jacob Burkamper <jacobb@cipafilter.com> wrote:
> Yes, I used the source address field of the HTTP sampler to change the
> source IP address.
>
> I have a CSV file with username, password, and IP address combinations in
> it.
>
> I am in a linux (Ubuntu) environment.
>
> Before I start the test, I use a linux shell script to parse the same CSV
> file that the test uses, and that shell script adds all the IP addresses to
> the interface of the machine. Then, when jmeter runs it connects to my web
> service using the username, password, and source IP address specified by
> the CSV. I realize I can simply change the CSV per server and manually
> deploy that file and the test config file to multiple units, and then
> manually start the tests. However, this has the disadvantage of requiring
> me to push any changes to the test scenario manually, which can make
> troubleshooting somewhat cumbersome. I would much rather be able to simply
> click a button in the jmeter GUI and have it automatically distribute and
> begin the tests, if this is at all possible.

JMeter only distributes the test plan, it does not distribute any data files.

> Could I perhaps change the CSV path based on the jmeter server's hostname
> or something similar? Then I could just maintain a CSV with appropriate IP
> addresses for each server, and still use the jmeter GUI for test management.

That would still require you to deploy the CSV files.

If the tests can all use the same set of lower 16 bits, then you could
just provide that in a common CSV file.

You can then define the top 16 bits as a property on each server.
E.g. in the local user.properties file or on the command-line.

The Source address could then be constructed by combining the two parts:

${__P(TOP)}.${BOTTOM}

Another possible approach would be to use host names rather than IP addresses.
This would require setting up local hostnames on each of the JMeter
systems, and might not be feasible.