jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Brian Devaney <bdeva...@docfinity.com>
Subject Random NoHttpResponseException
Date Wed, 29 Oct 2014 20:31:13 GMT
I am not sure that this is even a JMeter problem, but I will post anyway
because JMeter seems to be the only way I can cause and detect the problem.

I have a number of JMeter scripts that get run in a test overnight.  Each
script is run three times with increasing numbers of users each time.  The
script is hitting a cluster of two nodes with a load balancer in front.
The scripts run perfectly over the course of the night, except in one or
two cases, a number of errors will occur, which is where I get the
NoHttpResponseException.  At what seems to be a completely random moment,
for one second, all requests that are getting sent to the load balancer
will get this error.  According to the jmeter.log it always seems to be
within one second.  It will not, for example, start halfway through
10:05:19 and finish halfway through 10:05:20.  Every log entry with the
error will be within the same second of 10:05:19.

The stack trace that gets generated from one of these errors is:
org.apache.commons.httpclient.NoHttpResponseException: The server
10.10.2.179 failed to respond
    at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.readStatusLine(HttpMethodBase.java:1976)
    at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.readResponse(HttpMethodBase.java:1735)
    at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.execute(HttpMethodBase.java:1098)
    at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodDirector.executeWithRetry(HttpMethodDirector.java:398)
    at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodDirector.executeMethod(HttpMethodDirector.java:171)
    at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(HttpClient.java:397)
    at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(HttpClient.java:323)
    at
org.apache.jmeter.protocol.http.sampler.SoapSampler.sample(SoapSampler.java:272)
    at
org.apache.jmeter.protocol.http.sampler.HTTPSamplerBase.sample(HTTPSamplerBase.java:1105)
    at
org.apache.jmeter.protocol.http.sampler.HTTPSamplerBase.sample(HTTPSamplerBase.java:1094)
    at
org.apache.jmeter.threads.JMeterThread.process_sampler(JMeterThread.java:429)
    at org.apache.jmeter.threads.JMeterThread.run(JMeterThread.java:257)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)

As part of my testing, I have turned off any timeouts in JMeter that I can,
or made them long enough that I will get a response eventually.  Both nodes
in the cluster, the load balancer and the server running the JMeter test
all have ntp installed in order to keep their clocks in sync.  As a test I
ran one of my JMeter scripts while monitoring the time drift to see if the
clock getting reset during the test could be the culprit.  The exception
did not show up on that run.  Another possibility was that the cluster
could not handle the load, but in my tests, I have seen the case where a
script with 300 users has the error and the same script with 500 users
works perfectly with no configuration change other than the number of users
running the script.

Like I said, this may be outside of a JMeter problem, but if anyone has any
ideas, I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you.

Brian Devaney
DocFinity® by Optical Image Technology, Inc.
100 Oakwood Avenue, State College,  PA  16803
ph: 814.238.0006 ext. 274
fax: 814.238.0011
mailto:bdevaney@DocFinity.com
http://www.docfinity.com/

DISCLAIMER: This email may contain proprietary information, some or all
of which may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient
only. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this email,
please notify the author by replying to this email. If you are not the
intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,
or rely on this email.