jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Deepak Shetty <shet...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: jmeter - thread count limit
Date Tue, 12 Aug 2014 15:24:55 GMT
Hi
>"docs mention there is no hard & fast rule, it depends on system
hardware/software config & how soon the server responds for APIs under
test."
This is the technically correct answer

>" lists a number between 200-300 for number of threads"
This is most likely a rule of thumb or a starting point (e.g. I will rarely
exceed 40 threads on my client PC)

>We now need to put more load on it
It depends on how you define "load" - *Usually* you mean the concurrent
usage that the server sees in which case option B is the correct one.(It's
possible you might be running a long running test , just to see whether
there are memory leaks or something like that and you are using "load" in
that context in which case you probably only need option A. - happens , but
rare)
However lets say you want to test out 10 users accessing your system at the
same time, for an hour , then you might want to use different users (rather
than using the same user or  10 users which means you might get better than
expected results due to server caching user details or something like that)
- in which case you do also need Option A to make Option B realistic.
However you cannot just increase the number of threads without limit ,
because at some point of time , either the JMeter machine or the network
might start slowing down your tests which would not happen in a real life
scenario - in which case you now need to add more JMeter machines (either
distributed or standalone) - What number of threads your system supports is
dependent on multiple factors and there is no way out of testing and
validating your results - This has probably been discussed numerous times
in the archives of these mailing lists.

regards
deepak