jmeter-user mailing list archives

From "Pickard, Nigel" <npick...@platformq.com>
Subject RE: Where is the correct place for a synchronizing timer?
Date Tue, 12 Aug 2014 16:41:14 GMT
Thanks for the reply Sebb, you are right, I had some confusion about the scope.  I reread the
documentation -but alas am still unclear.

To summarize:
I have a thread group with a simple controller.
Under the simple controller I have several samplers -e.g. login, ABC and XYZ
I'd put a synchronizing timer within XYZ with the hope of allowing login and ABC to run completely
with all users, and then burst to the XYZ sampler.

This test had seemingly run satisfactorily, until I increased the ramp up time of users I'd
been creating -then I was getting errors.  I then had a crisis of confidence that the synchronizing
timer should be at the simpler controller level rather than a child of the XYZ sampler......
but I think what I'd done was correct.  But now I'm uncertain as to how increasing ramp up
time causes a problem with a sample that has a nested synchronized timer.

-----Original Message-----
From: sebb [mailto:sebbaz@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, August 11, 2014 8:12 PM
To: JMeter Users List
Subject: Re: Where is the correct place for a synchronizing timer?

I've not looked at the post in detail, but would just point out that Timers are executed AFTER
every request that is in scope.

As such, it does not make sense to say that the timer is "at the top".

See:

http://jmeter.apache.org/usermanual/test_plan.html#scoping_rules

On 11 August 2014 23:15, Pickard, Nigel <npickard@platformq.com> wrote:
> I was using a synchronizing timer to best mimic a burst of http requests..... however,
running a test I came across an anomaly that made me think I'm doing it incorrectly.

> I had a http request to login in users (call it "Login"), then another http request that
got something from my web site (call it "ABC"), then another request (the one I'm most interested
in -which I'll call "XYZ" -where all users are instantaneously forwarded to another site).
 I had the number of users and a ramp up time to accommodate for the users to be logged in
and to do "ABC".  I put a synchronizing timer inside the http request "XYZ" -at the top -within
the request.   My thought was that users would log in, do "ABC" in good time, then "XYZ" would
wait until all users had logged in and done "ABC", and then all users would attempt the sudden
burst of "XYZ".

> I'd run my load tests with no trouble -or so I thought.    Then the other day I happened
to extend the ramp up time and mysteriously "XYZ" started to fail.   It seems counter intuitive;
why would providing a longer ramp up time (and well within any timeouts as well, we're talking
30 secs as a ramp up time here instead of 20 seconds) cause failure?

> I then realized moving the synchronizing timer between http requests would allow for
success, rather than leaving it inside (at the top) of the "Xyz" request.  I've searched (a
lot) of JMeter tutorials and I can't find clarification on this -should the synchronizing
timer be outside the http request, and before the request you wish to have a "burst" on?
Scratching my head on this.... Thanks.