jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Ohrstrom <johrst...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Jmeter not loading the results file into sampler
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2014 05:48:06 GMT
Brad,

I am wondering about your motivation for loading all this data into the
GUI.  There are perhaps tens of thousands of samples, if not more,
during a load test and surely you're not going to pour over all of them
and view the response?

I assume you may be in 1 of 2 situations.  One is that you simply want
to view a few of the samples during runtime, both request and response
in full (some small % of samples, not all).  In this case, you could
write 2 files, one that is minimalistic and to be loaded into the
summary report or listener that generates a graph for that matter.  The
other file you write maybe every 1000th sample so that it does not too
large to view.  The other situation you may be in is that the response
has some important information in it that you need to track over the
duration of the test.  In this case you can use an extractor post
processor and simply extract the field.  Then write it to a file using
the sample_variables property.  That way you're saving some small % of
the response while still being able to view what occurred during runtime
(albeit you'll have to view it through excel or some text editor).

In sum, I would question why you need such a large file, why you need to
view the response in full, and whether you need to view every single
response and 100% of the response.

I hope this helps.

On Wed, 2014-06-04 at 15:35 -0400, Masters,Louis wrote:
> Brad,
>
> I've never loaded files that large back into JM.  I usually use Excel on my larger datasets
(although I still don't think I ever went above 100M or so).

> Did you try enabling debugging (in Help) and the log (in Options) to see if anything
is being spit out?  Maybe a nasty error?

> Did you try to split it into smaller pieces?  Doesn't help with your large file, but
you may be able to load portions of it.

> -Lou

any difference (see below screenshot).     The results file is a standard CSV file that is
60MB.  Jmeter simply won't load that size of file into the "View Results in Table" sampler.
 I've reduced the length of the test to create a small results file (1MB) and it loads instantly
without issue.  So I know there is not an issue with the file or format of the file.  I'm
left to deduct there is some sort of sizing defect trying to load large files into the GUI
sampler (the table sampler to be specific).

> Any other thoughts or suggestions?
>
> Regards,
> Brad

(including, but not limited to, any attached e-mails) may be legally privileged and confidential.
If you are not an intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution
or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error,
please notify the sender and permanently delete the e-mail and any attachments immediately.
You should not retain, copy or use this e-mail or any attachment for any purpose, nor disclose
all or any part of the contents to any other person. Thank you.