jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Matthias Huber <matthias.hu...@novatec-gmbh.de>
Subject Re: How to record HTTPS traffic of mobile apps (here iOS)
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2014 20:20:13 GMT

Matthias

----- Original Message -----

From: "sebb" <sebbaz@gmail.com>
To: "JMeter Users List" <user@jmeter.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2014 5:38:23 PM
Subject: Re: How to record HTTPS traffic of mobile apps (here iOS)

On 26 March 2014 16:29, Matthias Huber <matthias.huber@novatec-gmbh.de> wrote:
> Hello alltogether,
>
> I'm currently doing some tests for recording test cases with iOS mobile apps in combination
with jmeter v2.11. Recording HTTP traffic (either via safari or apps) is not a problem. I
also managed to record HTTPS traffic via safari (added exception rules via popup) for example
https://www.google.de or login into my Amazon Account. Unfortunately I cannot record apps
which are using HTTPS, e.g. the App Store

> Short to my tests: My laptop is connected via LAN to the internet. The wireless connection
is used as hotspot which my Iphone is connected to. When I search something in the App Store
I got the following exception:

> Request: CONNECT itunes.apple.com:443 HTTP/1.1
>
> StackTrace: javax.net.ssl.SSLException: Received close_notify during handshake
> at sun.security.ssl.Alerts.getSSLException(Alerts.java:208)
> at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.fatal(SSLSocketImpl.java:1886)
> at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.fatal(SSLSocketImpl.java:1839)
> at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.recvAlert(SSLSocketImpl.java:1940)
> at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.readRecord(SSLSocketImpl.java:1077)
> at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.performInitialHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:1312)
> at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.readDataRecord(SSLSocketImpl.java:882)
> at sun.security.ssl.AppInputStream.read(AppInputStream.java:102)
> at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStream.java:235)
> at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:254)
> at org.apache.jmeter.protocol.http.proxy.HttpRequestHdr.parse(HttpRequestHdr.java:117)

> at org.apache.jmeter.protocol.http.proxy.Proxy.run(Proxy.java:205)
>

> I had already a look at google to find a workaround. I stumbled over a description of
the Charles Proxy ( http://www.charlesproxy.com/documentation/faqs/ssl-connections-from-within-iphone-applications/
) which explains to install the certificate on the device. Therefore, I installed the JMeter
certificate according to the Charles description on my IPhone. It still does not work. With
Charles everything is working and I can record the traffic of apps using HTTPS. Currently
I do not know why Charles is able to record the traffic and why it fails with the JMeter proxy.

The JMeter certificate should only be installed on the host which is
being used to run JMeter.

It's not clear on which host(s) you are running Charles and/or JMeter.