jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Deepak Shetty <shet...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Difference between concurrent load of 100 users and Active users for a given time period
Date Thu, 27 Feb 2014 22:24:06 GMT
Hi
a) Ramp up time is a testing tool concept usually used so that your server
doesnt see a burst of traffic that is unrealistic - For e,g, if say you
have 100 users "active" but only 10 concurrent you might have modeled this
as a thread group with 100 threads - however when you started up your test
with 0 rampup time it might be that you saw 100 requests concurrently on
the server - which is unrealistic for the example - so you give a rampup
time so that the initial requests are spaced out (it helps your client
jmeter too!)

Think time on the other hand is the time between requests (e.g. the time
spent by a user reading a page or filling the form) - whether you use think
time or not is dependent on what is the objective of running the test ,
what reports are expected and what your application behavior is like. If Im
trying to simulate race questions , I will rarely,if ever, have think times
in my tests.

> i couldn't load all 100 users threads concurrently
Did you run it for multiple iterations ? otherwise the thread will die as
soon as its tasks are over and if you have a rampup time that is higher
then the time a thread needs for the test then obviously you wont be able
to simulate 100 threads. You also usually need more threads on the client
than the concurrent usage on the server(dependent on script) and you might
need more than one JMeter instance (depending on many factors)