jmeter-user mailing list archives

From vinod dinakaran <vinod.dinaka...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: jmx.js: A Web-based JMX Editor
Date Sat, 21 Dec 2013 03:49:26 GMT
Hi Shay,
Thanks for looking at jmx.js. Responses are inline.

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 1:08 PM, Shay Ginsbourg <sginsbourg@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Vinod,
>
> Thank you for sharing your work.
>
> A few questions please:
>
> 1. Does the new editor import previously recorded JMX or does it allow
> direct recording?

Previously recorded. I do have plans to allow creation of new files, but
solely as a file format. I realize this is less powerful than a
full-fledged JMeter client which allows not just creation of test plans,
but also creation by recording as well as execution. For now the focus is
to just allow create, update and save of JMX files. So the initial use case
might be restricted to editing pre-recorded JMX files.

However, that's also the reason I chose to make it small and easily
embeddable - so that projects that DO want to become a "JMeter IDE on the
Web" can use this as a component and build full-fledged features around it.

If I squint at the current design I can imagine a jmx.addNodeAt() api that
would allow for a recorder to add new Sampler nodes to an instance of a
file being recorded, but this is without looking at the actual API that the
JMeter server supports and so forth.

> 2. Does the new editor provide tools for script correlation?

Not sure what you mean by this.

> 3. Does the new editor provide tools for script parameterization?
>
> These are the kind of things I'd like to improve the editing experience
when compared to the swing client, yes, but that's not yet there. As you
can see, jmx.js still doesnt have support for argument lists even; and to
release a basic version, I pretty much copied the existing layout. However,
the entire xml source is available to the editor code, as is the view tree.
So if its in the source, there's no reason why we couldnt enhance the
display / processing.