jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Oliver Erlewein <oli...@erlewein.net>
Subject CSV file iteration in remote tests
Date Wed, 06 Nov 2013 22:20:31 GMT
Hi all,

I'm sure that this is a common problem for those using JMeter executions
across several machines. Can't really find any solution to this. So here
goes:

I have a plan that looks something like this:

Test Plan
  |-- Thread Group
         |--CSV Dataset
         |--HTTP Sampler (login)
         |--....

If I remotely distribute this all remotes will 1st start with line one of
the CSV file. In my case this will cause locking in the application,
thereby destroying the test. Ideally I'd like to give the CSV file a random
offset for each remote client, so that it would start iterating at various
points in the CSV. This is not quite safe but should give me enough
variance so that the chance of locking would be minimal.

But I am also open to other ideas. I do want to solve this in a standard
way in-script.

I have found a way to randomly skip CSV entires but it'd skip the same
number per remote as the randomizer does not get called per remote but per
test.

Test Plan (define variable randomCSV with a random number)
  |-- Thread Group
         |--Counter (1...randomCSV)
         |--CSV Dataset
         |--If (randomCSV < Counter)
                |--HTTP Sampler (login)
                |--....

Hope someone can help me. I probably can't see the forest for all the trees
atm.

Cheers & Thanks
Oliver Erlewein