jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Deepak Shetty <shet...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Establishing baseline metrics
Date Mon, 01 Jul 2013 19:42:10 GMT
>Does that mean I should not go beyond 50 or should I still do tests with a
higher number?
You usually have to factor in growth (growing at a rate of X users per
month or whatever with whenever is your next scheduled release where you
could make reasonable amount of optimisations) - i.e. capacity planning.

>How can I go about establishing baselines for page load times, if I do not
have any historic data and have no industry benchmarks or >competitor data.
There are some usability tests as to what times cause user's to perceive as
slow. (Normal navigation has different values then login or search or more
secure pages like checkout) - you can google these. These are specific to
industry and functionality. (for e.g. we have 2 seconds for search page
(most heavily used part of the website) , 4 seconds for catalog pages,
6seconds for login/secure pages/ pages that have any ERP integration) - but
its better if you actually conduct some usability tests with end usersor if
you can find equivalents for your industry.

>Would it make sense to say let's see how the website is doing throughout
>the development phase and establish our baseline using the current response
>times?
No! you have to determine the times you want(as above) and see that your
current response satisfies those (suppose your current page takes 60
seconds are you satisfied that , that is your baseline?)