jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Adrian Speteanu <asp.ad...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Measuring page load / rendering time
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2013 13:46:33 GMT
Hi,

I have a different approach to this. But there's a lot of background to it,
which can't be covered answering a specific question (how to measure X),
all of it resumes to: you should not look for shortcuts and instead should
do things the right way. Measuring rendering times is the complete opposite
of doing things that way. Its a dead-end, because it is too hard to track
and fully cover. Are you going to test on a large enough number of
PC/Mac/Linux hardware configurations in conjunction with a large number of
software versions (OS, browsers, other plugins that might affect
rendering)? Is your test matrix going to be comprehensive enough? Usually
its not.

The approach to front-end should be different because UI has different
specific problems. I use YSlow!, a plugin for Firebug that works on
Firefox. It shows "missing optimisations", and gives a good starting point
for a development team to obtain the best rendering time for their project.
With JMeter, you create the load on the server side and with one desktop
machine, you evaluate what will be the most probable user experience during
high traffic and then improve that. Its the best thing you can do, and the
only honest approach to this problem. You can still make measurement taking
several samples from tools like Firebug, Chrome's dev tools and so on, but
what's the point? Are you trying to benchmark the renderer or your server
application? If its the second, there are more questions you ask.

Regards,
Adrian S