jmeter-user mailing list archives

From Eric Chaves <e...@craftti.com.br>
Subject Re: Measuring page load / rendering time
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2013 13:23:00 GMT
Hi Sam,

The metrics you are looking for are most influenced by client-side
implementations and can even change from browser to browser, since it
relies on he browser engine (css engine and javascript engine) and how the
page was coded (CSS, animations, javascripts etc...).

A server under certain load may degrade page load time but a healthy server
is no guarantee that the load page time is good. That's why tools like
JMeter are not capable to measure those metrics per se. But you still
should test your server under stress if you are looking for a good user
experience.

There are several tools I can recommend to you, and a google search would
certainly bring others:

During development:
- you can rely on Chrome Developer Tools or Safari Web Developer tools. The
Timeline panel will show you those metrics.
- You can also use Yahoo's YSlow and Google's Page Speed. Both are free and
will rank your website according to several common performance tips,
indicating where you are failing and what could be done to improve.

In pre-launch or post-launch you can use tools like:

http://www.webpagetest.org/
http://loads.in/
http://gtmetrix.com/
http://pageload.monitis.com/

And in other to check how your browser is handled by multiple browser you
can go with http://browsershots.org/.

Hope those help you. Best regards,

Eric