jmeter-user mailing list archives

From "Robin D. Wilson" <rwils...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: Login failed - javascript
Date Tue, 11 Jun 2013 20:18:43 GMT
First, this isn't really a "limitation" of JMeter, it is an artifact of the way web sites work.
Keep in mind, JMeter is designed to
test the 'server' part of the web system, but web systems include the 'browser' in the application
logic (often times incorporating
a lot of logic in the JavaScript code that runs in the browser, or in other coding systems
such as Flash and Silverlight). You could
call that a 'limitation' of JMeter, but that would be like saying that a chainsaw is limited
because it can't be used as a good
hammer.

There are a couple of ways this is measured, depending on the site in question. If it is coming
from the server, it is probably
looking at a header in the request to figure out if you have JavaScript enabled. Add an "HTTP
Header Manager" element to your test
plan, and set a User-Agent value...

We use the following User-Agent value:

This essentially tells the server that you are making requests with the IE9.0 browser (which
supports JavaScript by default). (NOTE:
we use this because it is still our most popular browser (actually, that's not quite true
- it is the most common version of the
most popular browser 'type' (IE)) - for users hitting our sites.)

But if you have a different user population, you might prefer to use Chrome or Firefox or
Safari as your 'standard test' User-Agent.
You can look up their User-Agent strings here:

	http://www.useragentstring.com/pages/useragentstring.php

If the HTTP Header Manager + User-Agent value configuration doesn't work, you will need to
figure out how the server is determining
that the browser supports JavaScript, and mimic that with your test. It is usually easier
to setup the 'HTTP Proxy Server', and just
collect a session from your browser than it is to try to figure it out manually though.

To setup the proxy and capture a session:

1) Create a new Test Plan.
2) Right-Click on "Workbench" and select:

	Add->Non-Test Elements->HTTP Proxy Server

3) Make sure "Capture HTTP Headers" is checked
4) Click "Start" on the HTTP Proxy Server configuration page (at the bottom of the page)
5) In your browser, set your Proxy Server address to "localhost", and use the port specified
in your HTTP Proxy Server configuration
(default is 8080).
6) Visit your site, and perform some functions you want in your test.

These should start to record your requests in the test plan, below the workbench section.
You can click on one of the requests and
see what the "HTTP Header Manager" looks like, and use that as your default HTTP Header Manager
for your tests. You can also see
what sort of interactions are taking place between the browser and the server - some of which
may be under-the-covers (hidden from
the user) and allowing the server to figure out whether the site supports JavaScript.

--
Robin D. Wilson
Sr. Director of Web Development